Wednesday, July 17, 2013

On This Day In History . . .

July 17, 1973 found me getting off a Greyhound bus in Mesa, Arizona to begin a new life.  In tow was my 2 1/2 year old red headed little boy who the kids at Sunshine Acres Children's Home would come to nickname, "Fireball" for that red hair.

The bus made its' destination from Visalia, California where two years earlier I had been the first single person to adopt a child.  The Lord gave me my son June 4, 1971 and I spent two years praying for a place where I could make a living for our newly formed family and yet be a full time mother.  The opportunity came when Carol Whitworth, CEO answered the phone at Sunshine Acres Children's Home and told us they normally did not hire single people but at this time they did need someone to help the nurse take care of any children that might become sick and need temporary extra care away from the dorm and other children.

"Fireball" and I lived and worked at the home and it did completely answer my prayer for a place that I could provide for our needs and yet be a full time mother to my son.  In December of 1979 Jason and I adopted Anthony who was just barely 3 years old.  If you know the rest of the story you know that Anthony found a father for he and his brother and a Precious Husband for me.  Precious Husband and I were married in the Sunshine Acres Chapel with all the Acres kids in attendance nearly 30 years ago.

All in all I lived and worked at this amazing ministry called Sunshine Acres Children's Home for 12 years.  It was nothing like it is today but still no one can tell me those weren't the best years of my life. 

On this day in history 40 years ago I came to live in the desert at a place lovingly called, Miracle in the Desert.  It provided a miracle for me as an adult just like it has provided for hundreds of children all these years later.  

I hope you will take a few minutes and watch the You Tube about the home and see for yourself what an amazing place it is. 




No comments: