Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday - Clam Chowder




I know it is late in the day but did not want to miss Lisa's Tempt My Tummy Tuesday hook-up.  With the hope of cooler days ahead thought I would share a great recipe for clam chowder.  Very easy and very good.  I always add more clams than it calls for which makes for a happy Precious Husband.  Yum.  Personally I love good soup anytime of the year.

Clam Chowder

2 (6 1/2 oz.) cans minced clams
1 cup finely chopped onions
1 cup finely chopped celery
2 cups diced potatoes
water
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 cup flour
4 cups milk
1/2 teaspoon sugar
salt and pepper to taste.

Drain clams, reserving juice.  In a large saucepan, combine clam juice, onions, celery and potatoes.  Add enough water to just cover vegetables.  Cook until tender.  While veges are cooking combine butter and flour in large kettle and cook over low heat and add milk making white sauce.  Cook and stir until smooth and thick.  Add clam and potato mixture and sugar, salt and pepper.  Heat through about 15 minutes.  Serves 6.

No comments: