Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Tempt Your Tummy Tuesday - Oriental Chicken

I seldom make anything without a recipe and I follow that recipe to the T.  I can not credit my mother for any culinary ability I may have because she is the kind of cook that just throws it together.  I smile when I remember asking her how she could forget the sugar in a muffin recipe I gave her.  The first thing the recipe says is blend the sugar and shortening.  Her answer was she just throws it all in and mixes it up.

It was my Aunt and my Grandmother on my Dad's side of the family that taught me to cook.  My Grandmother I especially remember following the recipe and measuring things accurately.  My Aunt taught me cooking in 4-H and that was a special time in my life remembered very fondly.  My Aunt had a new home and her kitchen seemed so modern and professional to me as a ten year old.  Why even her cookie sheets had their own custom made storage space.  This was all very inspiring as a young girl. 

I say all that to say this, the recipe I am sharing today is one that you can adapt totally to what you like or what you have in the fridge at the time.  You most certainly don't have to follow this recipe exactly.  Use it as a base and go from there.   I originally found this recipe in 1985 on the Rita Davenport TV show (a local program at the time).  Precious Husband really enjoys this meal and we have it quite often. 

Oriental Chicken Stir Fry

4 boneless chicken breasts, cut in small pieces
1 large green pepper, diced
1 cup celery, sliced
8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
15 ounce can chicken broth
3 tablespoons corn starch mixed in 1/4 cup water
1/4 cup soy sauce

Sauté in some butter or oil the chicken and then remove and sauté the veges.  Remove from pan and pour broth in pan and add cornstarch mixture.  Cook till smooth and thick then add soy sauce and return chicken and veges heating everything through real well.  Serve over rice.

That is the original recipe but as I said use what you like or have on hand.  My favorite is onions, mushrooms, little miniature peppers, and broccoli.  We like food with a little kick so I also add red chili flakes and also almonds for added crunch.  I always serve it over brown rice.  Colorful, attractive and nutritious meal in a bowl.  Very easy too.

As always on Tuesday go see Lisa and check out all the other bloggers great recipes.

No comments: