Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday - Hummingbird Cake


I have recently found a great blog for new recipes at The Southern Lady Cooks  and last week I made her Hummingbird Cake.  

The cake is moist and very good and easy to make in my yellow bowl!  All the ingredients I had on hand and as I said you basically make it in one bowl and don't even need the mixer.

We had the 4 TLC's for a few days so the cake was enjoyed.  Our new neighbors enjoyed a couple of pieces too.

Here is the recipe from her blog:
This hummingbird cake is so good. It never lasts long at my house. I read somewhere it is called hummingbird cake because it is so sweet the hummingbirds will eat it!
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 1/2 cups white sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
3 eggs
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups oil (I used Canola)
1 (8 ounce can) crushed pineapple, undrained
2 cups bananas, mashed or about 3 large bananas
1 1/2 cups pecans, chopped
 
Combine flour, sugar, soda, salt, cinnamon.  Mix together with whisk.  Add eggs, vanilla extract, oil, pineapple, bananas and pecans and mix with a spoon until all ingredients are wet.  Spray 3 (9 inch) round cake pans or a 9 x 13 inch pan.  Add batter and bake in preheated 350 degree oven 30 to 35 minutes until cake is done in center.  Frost with cream cheese frosting.  Enjoy!
Cream Cheese Frosting:
1 (8 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
1 stick butter or margarine or 1/2 cup or 8 tablespoons
2 cups confectionery sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
Whip all frosting ingredients together with mixer until smooth and of spreading consistency.



The 4 TLC's that fill these shoes sure enjoyed the cake made in the yellow bowl.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dorothy...this is by far, one of my favorite cakes :D

But I don't make it at all, due to the sugar content :(

I think I'll make an exception this Christmas and bake it for the family... thank you so much for sharing the recipe.

Many blessings to you... {by the way, I reopened the blog again...thank you so much for your kind words :) }