Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tempt My Tummy Tuesday - Monica's Scones


Much cooler days now encourage me to finally use my oven again.  This morning Vanilla and Peach muffins made a great breakfast.  

Today I want to share a recipe Precious Husband really enjoyed - so of course that puts it in "the keeper" file for sure.  

One of our men living in the Pampa House recently celebrated a birthday and his birthday request was for strawberry shortcake rather than a traditional birthday cake.  I used this recipe and they were quite a hit with all the guys.

Because I wanted to serve the shortcake warm I took all my ingredients and equipment up to the house and made it there.  



I smiled when Vince commented how neat the basket was put together and my son Jason came back with the response, "It's all in the presentation!"  Maybe my kids do pay attention after all.  


Monica’s Cream Scone Recipe
From Sandy’s Tea Society Board

2 Cups all purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon baking powder
1/4 Cup sugar
1/2 cup chopped dried fruit or raisins (optional)
1 1/4 Cups heavy whipping cream - do not substitute anything else for this, the recipe will not work!
3 Tablespoons melted butter (to brush tops of scones) Additional sugar for sprinkling on top

Directions:

Combine flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and dried fruit (if using) in a medium mixing bowl. Pour in heavy cream.

Stir ingredients until just combined. Turn dough out onto a floured board and knead lightly 7-8 times - do not overwork the dough. Shape into a round about 1 inch thick and cut into 8 wedges. Place on a foil-covered baking sheet - (be sure to use the foil and there's no need to spray with Pam or anything like that) Brush tops of scones with melted butter and sprinkle tops with sugar.

Bake at 425 for 12-15 minutes until just lightly golden brown (watch the bottoms!)

Serve with whipped cream, lemon curd, or raspberry jam! 

Try some scones and enjoy a tea party this week.  You will be glad you did.


 
My April Cornell tablecloth found recently at one of my favorite thrift shops in nearly new condition.

 
 





No comments: